A safe, encouraging community where families find support and resources for natural living and gentle parenting.
The Holistic Moms Network is a non-profit organization whose mission is to generate national awareness, education, and support for holistic parenting and green living by providing nurturing, open-minded, and respectful local community networks that encourage families to share these ideals and learn from each other.
Connect parents and create supportive communities, both in person, through local chapters, and online. Help parents and others to learn about holistic and green living.
Our Guiding Principles
Holistic parenting begins with an understanding and respect for how all living things are connected and how we impact one another; it therefore embraces green and non-toxic living, non-violent communication, and natural health.
The Holistic Moms Network emphasizes community building and raising awareness, and welcomes parents wherever they are and whatever choices they have made. We are not a single-issue group, but a community that honors diversity and tolerance as we strive to do the best that we can each and every day. We believe there are 7 fundamental ideals for holistic parenting:
- Making informed and educated parenting decisions
- Seeking respectful and nurturing relationships with others
- Actively participating in our own healing process
- Balancing and integrating the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of being
- Teaching our children to respect and care about the natural world
- Limiting our children’s exposure to advertising, marketing, and a consumer-driven culture
- Living more simply and consuming less
In 2002, the Holistic Moms Network was born as a small, local support group in Essex County, New Jersey led by a few moms looking to connect with others interested in natural living and positive parenting. The very first meeting of the group was held in a local chiropractic office and about a dozen moms gathered in hopes of building a holistic community. One of the original leaders of the Essex County group, Nancy Peplinsky, created a larger vision for the organization over the following year. She stepped forward to incorporate the Holistic Moms Network as a non-profit organization in October 2003. Many of the original members also stepped up to become part of the national team, and to build the organization. It was apparent that there was a large need for community support for natural-minded families across the country. In its first year as a non-profit HMN quickly evolved from a local group of New Jersey moms to an organization with more than 25 chapters in 14 states across the country.
HMN has continued to grow over the years and is dedicated to community building by supporting our volunteer leaders across the country to build their local in-person chapters. We also continue to build our online community and resources, and serve to bring holistic living awareness, support, education, and resources to families throughout the United States.
What Makes Us Different?
What makes the Holistic Moms Network different from other moms clubs, social groups, or organizations? In part, it’s our authenticity, our passion, and our commitment. It’s how we bring together local parents for support and join our voices as a national community. And the difference shows on many levels:
- National Community
How Our Local Chapters Work
Our local chapters are the heart of our organization. We believe that there is nothing like in-person connection, and building like-minded community together. All of our chapters are led by volunteers, with support from our national team. These volunteers come to us to start a local chapter in their area, if there is currently none, or to add to a current chapter’s volunteer team. Each of our chapters holds at least a monthly gathering, which we view as the anchor for the community. It is the constant that serves as the nucleus, with members coming together to connect, and prospective members learning about the chapter. From there we encourage our volunteers and our members to create the surrounding events to deepen the community connection. These can be workshops, Moms Nights Out/In, play dates, book clubs, volunteer activities, outings, camping trips, etc.
Founder, Board, and Team
Meet our team
We are the Holistic Moms Network. Since 2003, we’ve made it our mission to assist parents in building local chapters and educate parents about natural options, and to inform people from all walks of life about holistic parenting and green living. We represent thousands of parents nationwide who are working to build a healthier and more sustainable future. By joining our voices, we create a powerful force for change.
Board Member Responsibilities
Board members are expected to be fully informed on organizational matters, to contribute to debate on issues and to contribute to the Board’s policy deliberations. They are expected to understand and support the Holistic Moms Network’s mission statement and strategic plan.
Board member duties include the following:
- Attend monthly meetings and show commitment to Board activities
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Be well informed on issues and agenda items in advance of meetings;
- Participate in Board orientation meetings to ensure organizational and fund development knowledge and to participate in volunteer and donor recognition events
- Provide candid, open, and honest feedback and evaluation when appropriate
- Take initiative in informing the organization about opportunities for funding or program development
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments, and completes them thoroughly and on time
- Identify individuals in the community for volunteer participation or funding support
- Provide sensitivity and support to staff members, volunteers, and other Board members as they perform their duties
- Exercise loyalty to HMN and respect confidentiality regarding internal affairs
- Provide leadership within the Board and in the community on behalf of HMN and its programs
- Serve as an informal advocate for HMN in the community
- Make an annual contribution to the organization commensurate with ability
- Participate in fundraising activities and special events