Service on the Holistic Moms Network’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for pre-approved costs in relation to board members’ duties.
The Secretary provides administrative and clerical support to the Board, through the timely and accurate collection and sharing of information directly related to its activities. The Secretary ensures that the Board is well informed and that its activities are well documented for the use of Board members and relevant government bodies.
Duties Specific to the Board Secretary:
- Keeps copies of the organization’s bylaws and the Board’s policy statements
- Keeps lists of officers, Board Members, committees and General Membership
- Notifies Board Members of meetings and keeps records of Board attendance
- Manages minutes of board meetings
- Ensures minutes are distributed to members shortly after each meeting
- Is sufficiently familiar with legal documents (articles, by-laws, IRS letters, etc.) to note applicability during meetings
- Conducts general Board correspondence.
- Signs official documents of the organization as required.
Minimum of two years experience in administration in a paid or volunteer setting. Strong organizational skills, time and ability to meet deadlines and produce notes and Minutes in a timely manner for distribution and action by the Board. Excellent note taking, transcription, and computer literacy skills.
An understanding of the effective functioning of a charitable organization and the mission and purpose of the Holistic Moms Network.
Sensitivity to group dynamics and familiarity with structure and process of board and/or committee meetings. Decisive, innovative, and flexible with the ability to compromise and strongly service oriented. Passionate about holistic living and community building.
Duties of all HMN Board Members:
Board members are expected to be fully informed on organizational matters, to contribute to debate on issues and to contribute to the Board’s policy deliberations. They are expected to understand and support the Holistic Moms Network’s mission statement and strategic plan.
Board member duties include the following:
- Attend monthly meetings and show commitment to Board activities
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Be well informed on issues and agenda items in advance of meetings;
- Participate in Board orientation meetings to ensure organizational and fund development knowledge and to participate in volunteer and donor recognition events
- Provide candid, open, and honest feedback and evaluation when appropriate
- Take initiative in informing the organization about opportunities for funding or program development
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments, and completes them thoroughly and on time
- Identify individuals in the community for volunteer participation or funding support
- Provide sensitivity and support to staff members, volunteers, and other Board members as they perform their duties
- Exercise loyalty to HMN and respect confidentiality regarding internal affairs
- Provide leadership within the Board and in the community on behalf of HMN and its programs
- Serve as an informal advocate for HMN in the community
- Make an annual contribution to the organization commensurate with ability
- Participate in fundraising activities and special events
The Holistic Moms Network’s Board Treasurer will serve a two year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly for at least the first year.