Service on the Holistic Moms Network’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for pre-approved costs in relation to board members’ duties.
As the successor to the Chair position, the Vice Chair will provide leadership to the Holistic Moms Network as it rebuilds its board, and to help strengthen the 16 year old organization, and ensure it continues on as a sustainable national entity. Specific responsibilities include:
- Performs Chair responsibilities when the Chair cannot be available (see Chair Job Description)
- Reports to the Board’s Chair
- Works closely with the Chair and other staff
- Participates closely with the Chair to develop and implement officer transition plans
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Board
- Become familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit board member
- A commitment to and understanding of the Holistic Moms Network’s Chapters, volunteers, members, and mission, preferably based on experience
- Strong leadership and collaborative skills to support the Chair and to offer alternative proposals in the interest of best serving the organization.
- Decisiveness in order to tackle and resolve difficult issues and to keep the business of the board moving.
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Experience with strategic planning
- Effective meeting planning and management skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting the Holistic Moms Network community
- Passionate about holistic living and community building
Duties of all HMN Board Members:
Board members are expected to be fully informed on organizational matters, to contribute to debate on issues and to contribute to the Board’s policy deliberations. They are expected to understand and support the Holistic Moms Network’s mission statement and strategic plan.
Board member duties include the following:
- Attend monthly meetings and show commitment to Board activities
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Be well informed on issues and agenda items in advance of meetings;
- Participate in Board orientation meetings to ensure organizational and fund development knowledge and to participate in volunteer and donor recognition events
- Provide candid, open, and honest feedback and evaluation when appropriate
- Take initiative in informing the organization about opportunities for funding or program development
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments, and completes them thoroughly and on time
- Identify individuals in the community for volunteer participation or funding support
- Provide sensitivity and support to staff members, volunteers, and other Board members as they perform their duties
- Exercise loyalty to HMN and respect confidentiality regarding internal affairs
- Provide leadership within the Board and in the community on behalf of HMN and its programs
- Serve as an informal advocate for HMN in the community
- Make an annual contribution to the organization commensurate with ability
- Participate in fundraising activities and special events
The Holistic Moms Network’s Board Vice Chair will serve a two year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly for at least the first year.